Many Apple users don’t have the knowledge about how to create partition in external hard drive and how to choose the cheap hard drive. Don’t be bothered this article guides you about how to use external hard drive on Mac machine in effective way. Consider that you like to make one or more partitions on new external hard drive such as one is FAT32 file system and other is HFS+ file format in order to move or share data files with your Windows systems.
These are about the steps to follow to format the external drive:
- Initially, connect the external drive to USB and then switch it on. You will encounter with pop up screen about new drive, just ignore it.
- Next, open with the “Disk Utility” in Utilities folder and then click on the “Partition” tab and make a changes in the “Volume Scheme” to have 3 to more partitions. Enter the name as you like and don’t worry about their format for now.
- As soon as the Disk Utility gets loads choose your particular hard drive and then Disk Utility is about to partition the drive properly still it fail to format the partitions. Due too many issues so you need to note down the names of the partitions. For an example, names like disk1s and disk1n for the first and second partitions respectively. Next, click on Quit Disk Utility.
- Run the following command, before that modify the names of the partitions. And have to remain the “s” in front of “disk1s”. When it’s done, you have an HFS+ partition.
- You should now be able to mount the drives with the commands: After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfg.’s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
- Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the Disk Utility welcome screen.
- Set the format type to Mac OS Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
- Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.
Key point to remember: While partitions the hard drive on Mac if you delete or erase any data files then follow this link to know how to recover lost data on Mac computers.